2009-08-25

Gangarabi Festival of Fire

Yesterday the 24th August, we had an annual traditional festival which called Gangarabi festival of Fire in my region. Have you heard of Daimonji in Kyoto? Gangarabi is similar to Kyoto's.

The commonly called Festival of Fire is the climax of the annual grand festival。Carrying large torches of an old pine tree -100 kg weight and 4m length, go up the small mountain cleansing them with the falling sparks. Also it says that summer is over. We thank for keeping us safe or good health.
At the top of the mountain, it appered large [大] shaped japanese Kanji with fire torches which means big or laege . i looked up while a time.
Summer has gone.


This morning,looking up the sky...uum...

Fall is coming sooner,we feel something cool breeze and air

8 件のコメント:

Cal さんのコメント...

The festival must look spectacular. x

Michela さんのコメント...

Hi Mami!
Hope you are fine!
Fall is coming sooner and Christmas too!
I would be very pleased if you would join in my little giveaway!

Unknown さんのコメント...

I love the fire symbol, thanks for sharing x

Janie さんのコメント...

Those torches are huge. I wouldn't be able to carry one. Interesting ceremony.

JuanitaTortilla さんのコメント...

Yes, Autumn is fast coming our way as well. Do you look forward to Autumn?

Thank you for sharing your local festivities with us. It's always refreshing to learn new things through blogs!

theUngourmet さんのコメント...

I can just imagine how spectacular this looks up close!

Thanks you for showing me happy birthday in Japanese! ;0)

melody さんのコメント...

How nostalgic to see the letter of "large" in a mountain. I've never heard of this festival but I often visited Kyoto so this photo
reminded a lot of my past memories. ^0^//

Susie's country cottage さんのコメント...

It is always a little sad when summer is over but then autumn is a beautiful time of year. It is good to celebrate the seasons. Thanks for showing us your festivities.